Learners will become familiar with historical context and implications for disparities in sexual and reproductive health. This video will review how the history of oppression, contributes to current health inequities.
Personal Reflection Questions
- Were you aware of the legacies of oppression within the medical establishment and how they connect to modern inequities in sexual and reproductive health? If not, why do you think that is?
- Were any of the statistics in this video new to you? How do they make you feel?
- Think of an example of a law, policy, or system that has treated someone differently based on their race, gender, class, or other identifying factor, in your patient population.
HRD-77-3 Investigation of Allegations Concerning Indian Health Service
Prevalence of HIV and healthcare experiences among people of transgender experience
- Becasen JS, Denard CL, Mullins MM, Higa DH, Sipe TA. Estimating the prevalence of HIV and sexual behaviors among the US transgender population: a systematic review and meta-analysis, 2006–2017. AmJ Public Health e1-e8.
- James, S. E., Herman, J. L., Rankin, S., Keisling, M., Mottet, L., & Anafi, M. (2016). The Report of the 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey. Washington, DC: National Center for Transgender Equality.